Monday, March 15, 2010

sorting

Before we do this activity, we sort lots of times with manipulatives in whole group, partners and individually.  Then what I do is just cut contruction paper in to little squares.

The children then sort by color.  I love to do the "red" "not red" or "blue" "not blue"  because it lets them sort in different ways.

I also got the m and ms sorting.  I just bought a bag of m and ms and gave them a hand full.  They then sorted them and recorded their sorting on the paper.  We also talk about graphing at the same time.

1 comment:

Deborah Stewart said...

Very good approach to sorting. I like that you recognize that sorting takes the right amount of practice and you keep it to two very basic ideas. Sorting is harder then it looks for preschool age children:) Readiness, just as you stated, is essential!